Sunday, November 8, 2020

Tomato soup

Homemade Tomato Soup




Baking is Science. You cannot fudge measurements. 


Cooking is Art. Your seasonings are your palette. I do not measure seasonings. I taste and add. I believe this is the way to cook. I have different tastes than you. I like a sweeter spicier less tomato tasting soup. You may prefer less sugar. Taste as you go!


If you are new to cooking this way I recommend SALT FAT ACID HEAT by Samin Nosrat. Achieving a balance of these elements is the key to making food that tastes good. 


This recipe is labor intensive so I make a double batch and freeze it. 





1 28 oz can GOOD QUALITY chopped fire roasted tomatoes 

1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped

1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped

3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped

2 carrots, coarsely chopped

1 jalapeño, coarsely chopped (remove seeds and rib if it’s too hot)

3 garlic cloves, chopped 

1 cup chicken stock (I make my own)

1/3 cup vegetable stock (you can use all vegetable stock if you want to make vegan version) 

Red wine as needed 


Seasonings:

Salt

Red balsamic vinegar 

Soy sauce

Brown sugar

Worcestershire sauce

Anchovie paste (I use the tube, just a dollop, try even if you don’t like anchovies, gives it a nice savory punch)

Smoked paprika 

Basil 

Red pepper flakes (my new favorite is Sweet Heat by Flat Iron Pepper Co  


Sauté onion on low to med heat in combination of bacon fat and butter (or olive oil or vegetable oil if that seems more healthy to you😀) about 5 minutes. Sprinkle onions with a little salt. That draws out the moisture. Add celery, pepper, carrots and garlic and anchovy paste and sauté until onions are translucent. 


Add about a tsp soy sauce and vinegar and stir. Add about half the veggie and and chicken stock. I use frozen cubes so I throw in 2 of each. Stir and cook down a minute or so. 


Add tomatoes. Now you have to start tasting. I don’t like a raw tomato taste so this is where I start tinkering and add sugar and seasonings. Add the rest of the stock


Turn down low and simmer an hour. This is where wine comes in. Sauce will cook down and get thick and you will need to add liquid to keep it from sticking and burning. I just add a little wine every 15 minutes or so. You can add water or stock if you prefer. 


After an hour or when carrots are soft, take off fire and cook. There is no harm in simmering longer as long as you make sure it doesn’t stick. 


When sauce is cool put in food processor and purée. You may need to add half a cup of water or so. 


Sorry you aren’t done. You want a smooth soup. Now you have to strain it. 


Trust me. It’s worth it. Try it with half and half added. 

No comments:

Post a Comment