Thursday, December 29, 2011

Bourbon Glazed Pork Chops & Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage for Dinner

We're too boring on New Year's Eve for my daughter so she's taking off to spend it with her friends.  This was my last night to cook for her.  She doesn't eat much meat at college.  The pork chops I made for her tonight should be enough meat for a month.

I'm really impressed with folks I know publishing their own books.  I think I'm going to publish a cookbook. I've already got a lot of recipes I've posted here.   So you will probably see more recipes here as I start putting them together.  Here's tonight's dinner.

I usually marinate pork chops in white wine but I didn't have any.  Then I saw the bourbon.  What a great idea.  I started with two thick Iowa Chops that I don't believe you can get outside of Iowa.   And if you could you'd have to sell your first-born to afford them.

Mix a dry rub of kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and brown sugar and rub both sides of the pork chops with it.  Then pour a cup of bourbon over them.  Let them marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.  Turn them over every once in a while.

Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage

1/4 stick butter
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 granny smith apple, peeled and sliced
1/2 red cabbage, sliced.
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/2 Cup water
1/4 Cup brown sugar

Heat the pan to medium, melt the butter and cook the onions until translucent.  Add the apples and cook for a few minutes, then add the balsamic vinegar and cook for a few minutes.  Add the sugar and stir.  Add the cabbage, cider vinegar and water.  Turn up heat until it boils, then turn down to a low summer and cook for about 20 minutes until cabbage is tender.   You could add some bacon to this too. 


You should get a George Foreman grill.  Those things are great for cooking chops and steaks.  Heat up the grill.  Put the chops on the grill and pour the marinade in a sauce pan, add about 1/4 cup brown sugar and cook down until it is syrupy.   When the chops get some color on them brush them with the bourbon glaze every time you turn them, every 5 minutes or so.  They will cook on this grill in little over a half an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment