Saturday, January 17, 2015

#Usemeinstead



I am close to despair, not so much at the level of racism in this country (although that is tragic enough), but the lack of recognition of racism and how damaging it is, not only to its victims but the very fabric of our society.

The latest is this story of Miami Police using mug shots of African American youth for target practice.   And if the fact they were doing this was not bad enough, they are not embarrassed or ashamed but in fact, are defending this practice.

Thanks to Pastor Lura Groen who created a Facebook Event  for clergy in clerical collar  to invite the North Miami police to use our photos instead of African American youth.  It is a recognition of our privilege.  I can afford to invite them to shoot at me because I have very little fear of being shot by police.  It is a way to invite police to see the people they are shooting at as human beings which I fear, when they use mug shots of people of any race, they do not.  I think you almost have to dehumanize a person before you shoot at them.

It's a symbol, it's a gimmick.  It's not going to change the world.  But when I see all the photos of  people inviting police to shoot at their image, it's very powerful.  I hope it gets some attention and traction.

But I really hope we find a way to recognize the worth of all human beings.

If you would like to participate, send your photos to this address.  The more polite and Christlike the message, the better

North Miami Police

16901 Ne 19th Ave, North Miami Beach, FL 33162.


No comments:

Post a Comment