There is some midwestern food I will never learn to like. Like "beef burgers". (You really have to see my face to know how I feel about those)
But Ham balls are another story. I love these. I don't even know if you can get ham loaf outside of Iowa but if you can, you have to try some ham balls. Here is my version. I even tried to figure out measurements just for you.
- 1 lb ham loaf
- 1 cup bread crumbs or crushed crackers (I actually did not have either one and used oats and it was fine)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 can drained crushed pineapple (save the juice for the sauce)
- 1/2 tsp Penzeys American Barbecue spice
Mix that all up and form balls. Put them in a pan and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.
While they are in the oven make the sauce:
- 1 Tbl butter
- 1/ 4 Cup Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Brown sugar
- 2 Tbl Honey mustard
- 1 tbs Penzeys barbecue spice
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- The rest of the crushed pineapple & juice
Melt the butter in the ketchup in a small saucepan. Add the other ingredients and mix. Bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes. When the 15 minutes are up, spoon it on the ham balls and bake another 45 minutes.