Monday, January 30, 2012

Red Tails - The Star Wars Version


My daughter was home from college this weekend.  We took in "Red Tails" tonight.  As I said on Twitter "It was um, "Lucaesque"

Such a darn shame because this is a great story and could have been a great movie.  It's the story of the Tuskegee Airmen, African American pilots during World War II. George  Apparently HBO has made a really good movie--Tuskegee Airmen.  Rent that instead of wasting your time on this one. 

Unless you actually liked the storyline and dialogue of the last Star Wars Movies.  Because this is just as bad.  My daughter says the acting is terrible but I think the problem is bad dialogue that no amount of acting talent can fix.  

SPOILER ALERT (although you can see this coming from a mile away)

This is how it ended for us.  Final big fire fight  (In typical Star Wars fashion, there are loud flashy air fights) and the big bad German pilot (complete with a scar on his face) woodenly intones "Die you foolish African".  So when one of the guys who you knew was going to die because his Italian girlfriend who can't even speak English and he can't speak Italian has agreed to marry him...finally gets shot and is dying and dying and dying and telling his buddy he's dying (in the cockpit while flying of course) I couldn't help it - I leaned over to my daughter and whispered "DIE YOU FOOLISH AFRICAN!" and we both giggled and laughed as his plane went down.  Probably not the reaction Lucas was going for.

I'm giving it a thumbs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment