Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mary Magdalene


I was too busy last week to blog about one of my favorite Bible characters on her feast day- July 22.

I remember visiting an elderly lady many years ago who said she didn't have any problem with women pastors "Because look at Mary Magdalene....Jesus sent her to preach to his own disciples!"

Mary Magdalene was the first witness to the Resurrection and yet throughout the years the church has tried to downplay her role by sexualizing her and calling her a former prostitute. Which she was not. Although, as Seinfeld would say, "not that there's anything wrong with it..." but in fact, no where in scripture is she identified as a prostitute. (Even the woman who was called a "known sinner" who washed Jesus feet wasn't necessarily a prostitute. There ARE other ways women can be sinners, you know)

I think modern "liberal" views of Mary as Jesus' lover or suffering from unrequited romantic love for him also diminish her by sexualizing her as well. Why can people not just accept that Mary followed Jesus for the same reason the men did? Because she was excited by his teachings and the promise of the Kingdom of God? Why do we have to assign girlie romantic notions to her? I find that insulting to her and women in general.

So please - no more stories of romantic liasons between Jesus and Mary.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I was too busy to blog her that day too. And the fact that nothing in the series of daily Bible studies organized by the ELCA mission people I'm out here working with prompted me to think of her says something about the ELCA. And me.

    ReplyDelete