Thursday, August 20, 2009

ELCA Churchwide Assembly -Odds and Ends

Just a few observations.

Listen folks. If you are a voting member of a Churchwide Assembly and you have any plans to go up to the mike - here's some advice. READ YOUR FREAKING MATERIAL. Read your schedule. Make sure you know things like the difference between the sexuality statement and the policy recommendations. And read up on your Robert Rules of Order. Otherwise you will surely look like a fool. If you haven't and you have any questions, ask the person next to you. Ask your bishop. Don't come to the mike and waste everyone's time and make yourself and your synod look stupid.

Who at Augsburg-Fortress thought it would be a good idea to send their salespeople to a "How to be as pushy as a used car salesman" workshop? Really you cannot go into that room without getting jumped on by these salespeople, who I think outnumber customers. If you feel you must ask me if I need some help, fine, ask and then go away when I say I'm just looking. I don't need you to pick up items and shove them in my face. I don't need you to keep asking "Have you seen this, have you seen that?" after I've politely told to I like to browse. And I certainly don't need you to keep up the sales spiel after I've been so creeped out I've turned my back on you an am walking out (without having spent a dime). I understand Augsburg-Fortress is having trouble staying afloat, but trust me, this is NOT the answer.

And a shout out to Wyvetta Bullock who works in the Bishop's Office. I just loved her suit. She looked great. Beautiful fitting turquoise suit. I'm sure she's a very competent gift to the work of the church as well. But I want her suit! And I want to look like her in that suit!

Coming up - a summary of this morning's Plenary Discussion on the Ministry Recommendations

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had quite the day at #CWA09.

    I didn't realize Augsburg Fortress was having trouble staying afloat. What's going on there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um yea, they have closed a lot of stores.

    ReplyDelete