Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Simple Pico De Gallo

So it looks like I'm going to actually get some red bell peppers in my garden this year. Usually the growing season here is way to short for them to turn red but I bought an early variety and there is one that is half red. Had to buy a red and yellow one at the store for this recipe. The green bell and jalapeno and tomato was from my garden. All my cilantro has gone to seed so I had to buy that as well. I thought it was terribly hot but my daughter didn't . Hope I'm not getting wimpy in my old age!

I meant to put some red onion in it and just forgot but it was fine without it. Put some in if you like.

This a nice quick snack to go with your chips. We like the whole wheat chips. No measurements are precise. Make it the way you like it.

1 medium size Roma tomato, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 small carrot, diced
handful chopped cilantro
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
2 TBl Brown sugar
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbl Chardonnay

Mix this all up and eat it. You will like it. Skip the jalapeno if you are a wimp. No shame in that.

2 comments:

  1. You might want an or something to give it a bit of a kick, though! Instead of the jalapeno, I mean. Sounds rather good - a sort of salad, I take it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you left out what you would add for zip instead of jalapeno. We mostly eat this with chips but you could put it on enchaladas, or tacos

    ReplyDelete