Wednesday, March 23, 2011

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”

I'm not actually a big fan of Ghandi because of some things I know about his personal life and how he treated his wife, but I keep reminding myself,  nobody's perfect!  I agree with the above quote of his.

Earlier this week someone threw a starved dog they probably thought was dead, down a garbage shoot in an apartment.  The maitenence buy noticed the bag was moving and thus began the story of Patrick the Miracle Dog.


I don't know the story of the person who starved and threw this dog away.  I don't get into the hatred and wish to torture people who hurt animals.  Some people are monsters.  Some people are ignorant.    Some people just don't think about the suffering of animals.  Maybe it was someone on drugs who couldn't feed it and was too into their own horror to notice  his suffering.  Maybe the person who threw him away found him and thought he was dead (although how a starving stray pitbull got to the 22nd floor of an apartment building on his own is hard to answer.)

It's not about the cruelty of people.  That's not a story.  That's the way we are.  The story is the half dead dog who is not dead yet.  And the compassion he has evoked all over the country.  That's a good thing.  That's where I see God.

There are a lot of Patrick's.  People are raising money for his medical bills.  I'm not going to share a link to that.  I'm going to encourage you all to pick an animal rescue group near your home and give it some money this Lent.  Not instead of what you give for people and to your church and to all the other stuff you support.  Along with it.  You can afford an extra $20 for the animals.   Because there are Patricks near your home and I promise you, even if there isn't a facebook page or You tube video for them, they are there and your gift will make their lives better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment