Thursday, May 7, 2009

Asparagus and Chicken Stir Fry

Since asparagus grows like weeds in my back yard I am learning to like asparagus. I don't hate it - it's just a little goes a long way so I'm just not ready to just eat a bunch of stalks of asparagus. Tho I did eat quite a bit with my dinner the other night when I took my son to Red Lobster for a belated 21st Birthday Dinner. I also bought him a Bahama Mama. I think he would have liked it just as much without the rum. But I digress....

So I thought a stir fry might be a good way to consume my asparagus tonight. This is how I made it:

4 stalks of asparagus - chopped at a slant very small

3 green onions (also growing wild out back) sliced
3 cloves garlic

2 chicken breasts - chopped into small pieces - against the grain

1 Cup Pinot Grigrio (or any white wine - that's what I had open)
Ginger

Penzeys Chinese 5 spice

Penzeys California Pepper
2 tb brown sugar (I personally believe everything is enhanced with a little sugar)


Marinate the chicken, cut up in the wine with the spices for about 20 minutes.

Start the rice a little before and it should be close to done by the time this is all done.....
I don't have a wok - so I do all this in my cast iron skillet.

First I browned the chicken in olive oil and a few cloves of garlic until they were done and a pretty color - then I took it out


Add a little more oil to the pan, add the rest of the vegetables, a little more wine, a little sugar, a little pepper. I kept the heat at medium and just watched it --and would add a little wine when it looked like it was getting dry - it all turns into a nice gooey sauce but you have to watch it or that will evaporate and you'll burn your pan.

I think maybe it took less than ten minutes - so the asparagus is still crunchy. Lower the heat, add the chicken and stir it all up so it gets all goey too.
Put that over your rice, add a little Watkins Spicey Garlic Soy Sauce and it was pretty darned good. I had a few cashews and I threw those in. I saw a recipe like this that included spinach and if I had spinach I would have added it. My daughter is the one that really likes the Asperagus - hope there is still some around when she comes home at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment