Sunday, June 28, 2009

Turning Books into Movies

...is always fraught with peril and fans of the book are usually disappointed with the movie. (Although I thought they did a fine job with Gone with the Wind!).

So "My Sister's Keeper" was on my wish list of books to read but I didn't get to it before the movie came out. Didn't read the book, didn't read much about the movie so did not realize that apparently they changed the ending. And it seems those who read the book hated the movie because of that change. I'm actually kind of glad I didn't read the book because I loved the movie.

From what I've read, I think I have guessed the twist ending in the book but of course now I must read the book. I understand the brother's character is more developed and he was the one character that was least fleshed out in the movie. My daughter and I both were a little confused by him. The trouble is, with a movie you just cannot do justice to all the characters the way you can in a book. Some things have to be sacrificed.

Anyway I'd be interested in comments from anyone who has both read the book and seen the movie. Just don't spoil it. Even though I think I've figured it out. Now I must get the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment