--Robert Mapplethorpe, Hand in Fire, 1985
I've been so immersed in the Trinity I missed the RevGalBlogPals - Friday Five which is a good one. Mary Beth has this wonderful German expression ich würde die Hand dafür ins Feuer legen ~ "I would put my hand in the fire for that"
The question today is - what are five things you would put your hand in the fire for -people causes I believe in passionatly and will not give up on?
1. My Children -- I know they are not children anymore. But I will always believe in them, always support them, always go to the mat for them. Whatever it takes. There really is a fierceness to that mother love. I still remember back in 1994 when a woman named Susan Smith claimed someone had carjacked her car with her young children inside. He had ordered her out of the car and left with the children. When I heard her story the first time I turned to my husband and said "That is a lie. No mother would get out of the car. I would be dead in the street or dragged through the street clinging to the car before anyone would get my children away from me" Of course later it was revealed that she had in fact drowned her own children. Something Was messed up in her and she did not have the gift of that fierce mother love.
2. Grace. All grace all the time. It's all about grace. We live and die by grace. It's all a gift, we have nothing to do with anything good that comes to us. This is most certainly true.
3. We will be judged by how we treat the animals. And it's a good thing God is doing the judging because of that grace thing because I would not show any mercy to those who have abused and neglected the animals. We need to care for all of creation but especially the companion animals - God has given us these special little friends and we owe them love and care. It's not a choice between us and the animals. We can care for both.
4. Good will triumph over evil. I believe that with all my heart. It is why I persevere.
5. Chocolate is a wonderful thing.