Monday, May 31, 2010

I Love Cilantro!



It grows like weeds.  Now it's just perfect, real young and perfect.  I should plant some now though because it will soon bolt and I will be without any fresh cilantro until it reseeds and grows again late in the summer.

I made tacos for dinner.  One of the few things both the kids who are home like.   I made refried (although I actually only fried them once) Black Beans. 

About a cup of cooked black beans (or a can but they are sooo much cheaper dried - cook up a bag and freeze them)

1/2 Cup Chicken broth
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbl lime juice
2 small bunches of cilantro chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper chopped

Throw all that in the food processor and blend it up.  I can't stand the texture of a bean so I always much up my beans.  In the meantime, chop up a small or half an onion and saute it in olive oil and cumin until golden.  Then add the beans, stir it up and cook on medium low for about 10 minutes.

So dinner is just about ready and I realized WE HAVE NO SALSA!  How can we have tacos and no salsa.  Well I had a can of diced tomatoes and peppers but you can do this with diced tomatoes.  Drain the can, dump the tomatoes in a bowl.  Had 1/2 cup diced red onion.  1/2 Cup of balsamic vinegar,  couple of heaping tsp of brown sugar, some salt, chipotle powder, and of course some cilantro - WALLAH! SALSA!

No comments:

Post a Comment