Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday Five - Memories

The folks at RevGalBlogPals are talking about Memories.

1. A treasured memory from childhood?
    I did not have a good childhood.  I choose not to dwell on it.   I don't deny it but I do not let it dictate who I am now.  Say what you will about Dr. Laura (and one could say a lot) but she has a saying - you get two chances to have a family, the one you were born with and the one you create.  I did much better with the family I created.  I have wonderful memories of my children's childhood--especially vacations

    Like our trip in 1996 to Colorado - this is a stop at the Pony Express Station in Gothenburg, Nebraska


    Here we are in the Garden of the gods, with my sister.  I would always make matching shirts for everyone - on this day we are just wearing matching T shirts
    Or to Disneyland in 2000

    2.  A teenage memory?
      I had a high school sweetheart for 3 years.  He was very romantic - copied Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "How do I love thee" for our one month anniversary.   When he graduated from high school he decided to become a Roman Catholic Priest.  It was so romantically tragic how I gave him up for God.  Then he dropped out because he was gay.  We met up a few years later in San Francisco and he lived with a very nice guy for several years.  Then he decided he wasn't gay and lived with a very nice woman for a few years.   Then he decided he was going to become a monk.  I've lost contact with him.  He didn't seem that confused in high school!

      In front of Mt Rainier in Washington
      3.  A young adult memory?

        Driving with my soon to be husband Loren from Coon Valley Wisconsin back to California for my ordination.  We drove up to see my sister in Seattle and then down through the redwood forest to San Francisco where I was ordained.  It was a carefree trip.  No worries.  The whole world was a head of me.  After that trip I think we knew we were going to be married.  If we could survive a week in a car together, we could survive a marraige.

        4.  A Memory from this Summer

        I took my kids to the Omaha zoo.  Just like old times.

         5. A memory you hope to have? - my 25th anniversary of ordination which is next year, my children's weddings, grandchildren.

          3 comments:

          1. Your high school sweetheart story was stranger than fiction. Thanks for finding the pics and sharing them with us!

            ReplyDelete
          2. o Joelle, you made me laugh ! what great stories with style ;) ...

            ReplyDelete
          3. o, Joelle, you've made me laugh !
            thanks for sharing your memories ;)

            ReplyDelete