Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday Prayer







Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy

Psalm 51


Have mercy on me, O God, according to YOUR steadfast love and mercy.

Do not judge me the way I would judge myself, for I am both too easy and too hard on myself. 



I am too easy in that I don’t demand of myself what YOU, oh Lord have given me the gifts and ability and call to do. I am too easy on myself and too hard on others often for the same transgressions. 

And yet that same arrogance and pride can so easily be wiped away as I turn to the to an almost prideful despair that assumes my sin is the only one that can never be forgiven.

So give me the faith to trust in your steadfast love and mercy that lifts me out of despair and gives me the confidence and encouragement to do what you have called me to do this day. 

Let me wear my ashes not in pride or despair, but in humble gratitude for what you have made out of me and my brothers and sisters of ashes and clay. 



I only ask for what I need for today, for we both know I’ll be back tomorrow for more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment