Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Five - What is There to Smile About?

So the gals at RevGalBlogPals are talking about smiling.

I did read once that smiling will actually make you feel better.  However I want to point out that women are expected to always smile and that makes me NOT want to smile all the time.   You know what I really hate?? When some stranger comes up to me and tells me to smile. And it's always men who do that.  Who the hell do they think they are to tell me to smile?  Once a salesman at Sears did that and I went to customer service and complained.  That is SO sexist and patronizing.   Do not effin tell me to smile!

Oh wait - this is supposed to be a happy post.  When I feel like smiling, I have a very nice smile I think.


1. When were you smiling lately?  One of my kitties, Baby is overweight.  I try to get her to exercise every day - she's kind of lazy.  But I was holding a string in the air and I swear she jumped six inches in air to get it.  It was really cute to see her hurl her chubby little body in the air.  Most of the time she looks like this:

2. What happened unexpectedly to you this past week?  Heard from my sister in California and she is seriously considering moving out here.  That made me smile!

3. How was a catastrophe averted (or not)?  Let's see.. I forget a lot of stuff. I have so much on my mind and am easily distracted.  Honestly I think I have adult A.D.D.  I totally forgot Sunday afternoon I was supposed to participate in an Eagle Scout thingy and someone called me and asked what time it was.  Thank you Jesus.  And the person who called.

4. What was the most delicious thing you ate?  Oh it has to be that candied bacon I made Monday. And I am proud to say I have one piece left so I was very disciplined about not eating it all at once.

5. Did you see any good movies or read any books or articles?  Last night I read a very short book ~ Passing by Nella Larson, one of the writers of the Harlem Renaissance.  Was QUITE surpised by the ending. 

Louie Armstrong makes me smile


6 comments:

  1. Nice post. I read the same thing somewhere about a smile, altering your emotional landscape. It works. When you smile, there is an internal shift. Try it now and see if it doesn't work.

    I can relate to the expectation to smile. I bet you enjoyed writing this piece. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled when I read about the bacon, the original posting about it and now, when I read that you have a piece left. I want it.

    My pastor has a great smile, reflecting the inner happiness she has and the Grace of God. Lovely.

    My kids used to tell me that I was so negative. I might have been depressed than, but, you know what, I react negatively to people who seem to look at everything through rose colored glasses. And these days, my son says he knows that if he talks to me that I will show him that there are several sides to any story, so they are not all worth smiling about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great picture of you! Smiling is sometimes a problem for me, because I grew up with my mother telling me to "put a pleasant expression" on my face! So glad someone called to remind you on Sunday. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes we are cat folks also. Though Henry has abandoned me to count birds...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm as appalled by the idea of telling somebody what expression to put on their face as I am by the apparently common practices of offering unasked for commentary on somebody else's clothes, or patting the tummy of a pregnant woman with whom one is not intimate. What on earth makes people think any of this is a good idea?

    My own smile, while frequent, may not be quite the right kind of smile. I think the word is "sardonic."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you sure "smirk" isn't the word you are looking for???

    ReplyDelete